Monday, 8 February 2010

first ever blog thingy


I love this painting by Susan Seddon Boulet, mainly because it sums up how I see the beginnings of my creative processes as a writer. Listening and taking time to interperet the abundance of messages to be gleaned from the world is the passive aspect, yet it is equally important to me to 'cast a net' and seek inspiration from interacting with life in as many directions as possible. I believe this marriage of passive and active states of consciousness are responsible for the dynamic energy that sustains my creativity with a critical awareness, guiding my writing on to a better level. but I am still learning, long may this continue.



...recently I visited the Royal Academy of Arts (London) and saw an exhibition there called 'Earth', this collection concentrated on environmental ideology, unavoidable in today's climate, but without instructing the viewer how to think. it was a good experience, seeing artistic responses to the environmental issue, each work had a unique take and 'voice' making it a human narrative rather than political agenda. well worth a look...

I found Gormley's Amazonian Field had the biggest impact on me, hundreds of 8" figures staring through a doorway, directly at me. they just looked so vital, you can see where the clay has been worked, and each face is different, but with the same blank eyes. the concept seems to be 'art made of earth staring at the viewer as if responsible for making it', macro narrative-we are responsible. An interesting idea to contemplate in terms of creativity and cultural response in a changing world, 1960's America saw the emergence of literary journalism as a new genre in response to drastic social upheaval and the newly widespread consumption of television. how is literature affected today by the internet, and factors such as climate change and globalisation? is there a new direction looming?





No comments:

Post a Comment